Friday, March 20, 2009

Алтангэрлийн толь бичиг минь баяртай!


As a junior worker in my company I have to do all sorts of crap, including translating and interpeting random papers of no intellectual value. I struggled with the process perhaps because of my lack of enthusiasm and partly because of heavy terminology involved. Needless to mention that I haven't done any substantial translation lately from target language into source one. Forget about the "Task of the Translator" and Walter Benjamin, I dusted out my old English-Mongolian dictionary and sat for a while contemplating words such as "academic" and "academic bridge". As I slowly progessed through the text, I noticed that my Altangerel was not helping me much. I remembered my freshman college years when I sat evenings with this dictionary and how it used to be great aid to my homeworks. Unfortunately, the blue cover text was not anymore my faithful mate. As my English grew I forgot to update my library with appropriate vocab boosters.
On the other hand I noticed that when you do translation from source into target, you almost do not have to rely on S to T dictionary. When I was translating a friend's travel journal I used my reference and thesaurus dictionaries. Does it mean that the target register has become more accessible to me than my source?

4 comments:

Tuvshin said...

Get Oxford Monsudar Dictionary. Way much better than Altangerel.

Minerva said...

I had that dictionary, it mysteriously disappeared from my stack.

orchuulagch said...

Anglias mongol ruu hiij baigaa bol mongol helee togs medeh ni hamgaas chuhal baih aa.

Minerva said...

harin tugs medehgui bolood l toli molihon ashiglaad suudgiin shde